Polybutene-1* (PB-1) resins are high molecular weight isotactic, semi-crystalline thermoplastic polyolefins produced through the polymerization of butene-1 and ethylene, and/or propylene comonomers.
PB-1 combines the typical characteristics of polyolefins with a unique property mix of high flexibility and outstanding creep resistance over a wide temperature range. Due to a similar molecular structure, PB-1 is very compatible with PP and propylene-based thermoplastic elastomers. It is easily dispersible in PE notwithstanding their limited molecular compatibility.
Benefits and Applications
PB-1 resins are used in customer applications such as easy-open packaging, film modification, hot melt adhesives, polyolefin modification, water heaters and pipe.
Other customer applications include:
- Flexible pressure piping for domestic hot and cold drinking water
- Piping systems for surface heating and cooling
- District heating
- Radiator connections
- Easy-open flexible packaging
- Low seal initiation temperature modification
- Hot melt adhesives
- Polyolefin modification
- Water heaters
- Extruder purging agent
- Outstanding creep resistance and flexibility over wide temperature range
- Light weight
- Low noise transmission
- Low linear thermal expansion
- Low seal initiation temperature
- Good heat fusion properties
- Good chemical resistance
- Excellent wet abrasion resistance
- Excellent compatibility with PP
More information about our wide range of polybutene-1 resins
can be found our polymers site, where you may register as a new customer or login to access MSDS documents.
*PB-1 is not sold in pipe applications intended for use in North America.