ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, July 9, 2012 – LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) today announced that ZapSibNeftekhim L.L.C, a fully owned subsidiary of SIBUR, has selected the Spheripol process technology from LyondellBasell for a new 500 KT per year single-line polypropylene (PP) plant to be built in Tobolsk, Russia Federation. Start-up is projected after 2017.
“This will be the largest capacity plant built to date using the Spheripol process technology,” said Bob Patel, Senior Vice President of Olefins and Polyolefins, Europe, Asia, International (EAI) and Technology at LyondellBasell. “This will provide ZapSibNeftekhim an economical method to produce a wide range of premium-quality PP grades.”
Key features of Spheripol technology include leading monomer consumption, unmatched product quality, an operability among the best in the industry, fast start-up and grade changes, and capacities of up to 550 KT per year, which make it the technology of choice for the production of polypropylene.
LyondellBasell is a leading licensor of polypropylene and polyethylene technologies with more than 250 polyolefin process licenses.
In addition to the Spheripol process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services includes:
- Spherizone – the latest-generation polypropylene technology based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of polypropylene and novel polyolefins
- Metocene PP – an innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Lupotech – the leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave process technologies for the production of LDPE and EVA copolymers
- Spherilene – a flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
- Hostalen – a low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies. The company manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels. More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.lyondellbasell.com.
SOURCE: LyondellBasell Industries
For information, contact:
Media – Bill Herdman, +1 713 309 4814 or