Plastics make modern society possible, and often have a lower environmental impact when used in consumer goods and packaging than alternative materials such as glass, aluminum and paper.
Plastics play a vital role in advancing a wide range of sustainability efforts such as addressing food waste through packaging, protecting the quality of critical healthcare products, reducing emissions through the lightweighting of vehicles, ensuring the safety of water supplies through durable pipes and increasing the energy efficiency of buildings.
Our goal is to keep these resources in use for as long as possible to maximize their value and help eliminate plastic pollution. There is no single solution to this challenge, and a combination of actions will be needed to achieve a circular economy for plastics.
How we’ll do it
- Reduce plastic waste in our operations and supply chain
- Work to expand waste management systems and infrastructure, and support policy that increases the use of recycled plastics
- Advance mechanical and molecular recycling to meet customers’ and brand owners’ environmental and circular goals
- Produce and market 2 million metric tons of recycled and renewable-based polymers annually
- Help demonstrate successful plastic waste management in multiple cities and divert millions of tons of plastic waste through Alliance to End Plastic Waste projects
- Unlock at least five times our investment to increase the recovery and recycling of plastic and accelerate solutions to end plastic waste