As one of the world’s largest producers of plastics and chemicals, LyondellBasell’s products are used by millions of people around the world, every day. We have the potential — and responsibility — to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains.
Three years ago, LyondellBasell began a journey to advance the circular economy, help address plastic waste in the environment and enhance the overall sustainability of our company. In a relatively short time, we have made significant advances on multiple fronts. Today, I am proud to present our latest Sustainability Report, which outlines LyondellBasell’s strategy and ambitions for the next decade in three key areas: plastic waste; climate change and supporting a thriving society.
Watch the video summarizing LyondellBasell’s approach.
We see possible: our decade of action
In our view, the next decade is critical. To support our vision for a better world, we are committing to action on a number of fronts. It is LyondellBasell’s ambition to:
- Produce and market two million metric tons of recycled and renewable-based polymers annually by 2030. This is a major commitment which will enable our customers and value chain partners, in turn, to transform their businesses.
- Join American Chemistry Council and Plastics Europe industry peers to ensure 100 percent of plastic packaging is reused, recycled or recovered by 2040.
- By 2030, reduce our CO2 emissions by 15 percent per ton of product produced relative to 2015 levels.
- Advance our company’s diversity and inclusion initiatives through purposeful actions, such as creating opportunity by building D&I into our talent programs, including how we hire, advance and retain employees.
- Continue to operate safely with zero injuries, accidents, and environmental incidents.
With this announcement, LyondellBasell begins the next phase of its journey. As we move forward, we will further develop our agenda and actions in response to the global challenges and opportunities we face as a company and indeed as a society. I’m proud of the work LyondellBasell has done to date and look forward to continuing this path, with our partners, customers and people.
Bob Patel, CEO