HOUSTON, June 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- LyondellBasell today announced that it has become an ENERGY STAR partner in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ENERGY STAR program. Through this program and other corporate energy saving initiatives, LyondellBasell will improve energy efficiency at its global manufacturing sites, reducing energy costs and environmental emissions.
"LyondellBasell remains committed to reducing our energy usage and costs worldwide. This program is an important part of that commitment," said LyondellBasell CEO Jim Gallogly. "LyondellBasell is actively working to improve energy efficiency though a dedicated energy team working in cooperation with site energy champions. The teams' projects range from inexpensive maintenance upgrades to multi-million dollar capital investments that significantly reduce operating costs."
In 2006, the company set an energy goal of 2 percent reduction per year for 5 years for its U.S. operations. LyondellBasell not only achieved the initial U.S. goal, the company saw a 10 percent energy reduction goal worldwide.
In partnership with ENERGY STAR, LyondellBasell will:
- Measure and track the energy performance of our company's facilities where possible by using tools such as those offered through ENERGY STAR;
- Develop and implement a plan consistent with the ENERGY STAR Energy Management Guidelines to achieve energy savings;
- Help spread the word about the importance of energy efficiency to our staff and community;
- Support the ENERGY STAR Challenge, a national call-to-action, to help improve the energy efficiency of America's commercial and industrial buildings by 10 percent or more;
- Highlight our achievements with recognition offered through ENERGY STAR.
ENERGY STAR was introduced by EPA in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through energy efficiency. Last year alone, Americans, with the help of ENERGY STAR, saved $18 billion on their energy bills while reducing the greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of 34 million vehicles.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies. The company manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels. More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.lyondellbasell.com.
SOURCE LyondellBasell Industries