ROTTERDAM, the Netherlands, October 10, 2018 – LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) today announced that a joint venture between PolyMirae Company Ltd (PMC) and SK Advanced (SKA) has selected LyondellBasell’s world leading polypropylene fifth generation Spheripol technology for a 400KTA unit to be constructed in Ulsan, South Korea.
“We are pleased to be the technology provider of choice for the newly developed polyolefins business of PMC,” said Jim Seward, vice president technology business, sustainability and O&P EAI JV management at LyondellBasell. “With more than 25 million tons of licensed capacity Spheripol, is the leading polypropylene process technology recognized around the world for combining quality polypropylene grades with outstanding monomer efficiency.”
Mr. Martino Gabellich, CEO of PolyMirae said, “We selected Spheripol for its ability to meet our customer’s differentiated growing demand of products for automotive compounding, textile and packaging segments and for its leading investment cost.”
“We were impressed by the value PMC realizes from their existing Spheripol assets,” said Mr. Chul-Jin Kim, CEO of SK Advanced. “It provides us with the confidence that this is the right technology to make this project a competitive advantage by using specialty grade polypropylene products.”
Spheripol is the leading polypropylene process technology that combines proven track record, favorable economics and globally recognized ability to produce the industry benchmark products. The latest fifth generation of Spheripol includes process improvements that further maximize operational efficiency.
In addition to the Spheripol process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin processes and associated technical services includes:
- Spherizone – The breakthrough multi-zone circulating reactor provides a unique and innovative platform to manufacture polypropylene products with novel architecture and enhanced properties
- Hostalen – Leading low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
- Lupotech – The market leader on high pressure technology offers, with its high conversion rates and effective heat recovery system, the lowest operating and investment costs for the production of Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- Metocene PP – Innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Spherilene – Flexible gas phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2018, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.” More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.LyondellBasell.com.
For information, contact: David Greely (+1 (713) 309.4395)