ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, December 10, 2012 – LyondellBasell today announced Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) has selected the Spheripol process technology from LyondellBasell for two 300 KTA polypropylene (PP) plants to be located in Pengerang, Malaysia.
“PETRONAS’ selection confirms the outstanding reliability of the Spheripol process and its wide acceptance as the leading polypropylene process technology to produce a wide range of premium-quality PP grades,” said Bob Patel, Senior Vice President of Olefins and Polyolefins, Europe, Asia, International and Technology at LyondellBasell.
Key features of the Spheripol process technology include leading monomer consumption, unmatched product quality, operability among the best in the industry, and fast start-up and grade changes. Spheripol’s capacities of up to 550 KT per year make it the technology of choice for the production of polypropylene.
LyondellBasell is a leading licensor of polypropylene and polyethylene technologies with more than 250 polyolefin process licenses.
In addition to the Spheripol process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services is comprised of:
- Spherizone – latest generation polypropylene technology, based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of high-performance polypropylene and novel polyolefins.
- Metocene PP – technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems.
- Lupotech – the leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave process technologies for the production of low density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) copolymers.
- Hostalen – a low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal high density polyethylene (HDPE).
- Spherilene – flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of linear low density polyethylene (LLPE), medium density polyethylene (MDPE) and HDPE.
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500 Index. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at
58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
Media Contact: Bill Herdman, +1 713 309 4814 or firstname.lastname@example.org