ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, June 24, 2013 – LyondellBasell today announced that CNOOC Oil and Petrochemicals Co., has selected the LyondellBasell Spherizone technology for a 400 KT per year polypropylene (PP) plant planned to be built at Huizhou, China.
“LyondellBasell Spherizone technology can deliver a wide range of high-quality PP products with low resource and energy consumption and we are pleased that CNOOC has again selected our technology for their new facility,” said Bob Patel, LyondellBasell Senior Vice President, Olefins and Polyolefins for Europe, Asia, International, and Technology. “This is the fourth polyolefins process technology we have licensed to CNOOC and its joint venture, building on a relationship that spans more than 10 years.”
Spherizone offers a multi-zone circulating reactor process providing an economical and efficient method of manufacturing a wide range of high-quality polypropylene and novel polyolefins resins all on a single-line with capacities of up to 500 KT per year. Low manufacturing and investment cost make Spherizone very attractive in the marketplace. Since the launch of the Spherizone process in 2004, more than 3.5 million tons of capacities have been licensed.
In addition to the Spherizone process, the LyondellBasell portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services is comprised of:
- Spheripol – leading polypropylene technology for the production of homopolymer, random and heterophasic copolymers.
- Metocene PP – technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems.
- Lupotech – the leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave process technologies for the production of low density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) copolymers.
- Hostalen – a low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal high density polyethylene (HDPE).
- Spherilene – flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE), medium density polyethylene (MDPE) and HDPE.
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
SOURCE: LyondellBasell Industries
Bill Herdman, +1 713 309 4814 or