ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, February 7, 2011 – Braskem Idesa S.A.P.I., a joint venture of Braskem S.A. and Grupo Idesa S.A. de C.V., has selected LyondellBasell’s Lupotech T process technology for a new 300 KT per year low density polyethylene (LDPE) plant. The plant will be built at the Coatzacoalcos Petrochemical Complex in Veracruz, Mexico, and is scheduled for start-up in 2015.
“To successfully compete in the LDPE market in North America, a process technology such as Lupotech T is required,” said Roberto Bischoff, chief executive officer of Braskem Idesa. “It delivers leading manufacturing cost performance and a very broad product portfolio.”
“As the first tubular LDPE license granted in the NAFTA region in more than 20 years, it is further evidence of the performance leadership of Lupotech T for the world-scale production of LDPE and EVA copolymers,” said Kaspar Evertz, vice president of licensing at LyondellBasell.
Lupotech T is the world’s most widely used high pressure LDPE process. Since 2000, LyondellBasell has licensed 20 Lupotech T plants representing nearly six million tonnes of annual licensed capacity.
With more than 250 polyolefin process licenses granted, LyondellBasell is the leading licensor of polypropylene and polyethylene technologies.
In addition to the Lupotech T process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services is comprised of:
- Spherilene – flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
- Hostalen – low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
- Spherizone – latest-generation polypropylene technology, based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of polypropylene and novel polyolefins
- Spheripol – leading polypropylene technology for the production of homopolymer, random and heterophasic copolymers
- Metocene PP – innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies. The company manufactures products at 59 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive components, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels. More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.lyondellbasell.com.
For information, contact:
Media – Waldemar Oldenburger, +49 69 305 854 59 or email@example.com