ROTTERDAM, Netherlands March 21, 2013 – LyondellBasell today announced that OAO Nizhnekamskneftekhim, the largest petrochemical company in Russia, has selected the Spheripol process technology from LyondellBasell for a new 400 KT per year single-line polypropylene (PP) plant to be built in Nizhnekamsk, Russia Federation. Start-up is projected after 2015.
“This is the third polyolefin process technology that we have licensed to them building on a relationship that spans more than eight years,” said Bob Patel, Senior Vice President of Olefins and Polyolefins, Europe, Asia, International (EAI) and Technology at LyondellBasell.
Spheripol technology offers the wide range of polymers applications, unmatched safety record, and operability among the best in the industry. Production rates of up to 550 KT per year are available, which makes it the technology of choice for the production of polypropylene.
LyondellBasell is a leading licensor of polypropylene and polyethylene technologies with more than 250 polyolefin process licenses.
In addition to the Spheripol process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services includes:
- Spherizone – the latest-generation polypropylene technology based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of polypropylene and novel polyolefins
- Metocene PP – an innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Lupotech – the leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave process technologies for the production of LDPE and EVA copolymers
- Spherilene – a flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
- Hostalen – a low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500 Index. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
For information, contact:
Media – Bill Herdman, +1 713 309 4814 or