ROTTERDAM, the Netherlands, June 16, 2020 – LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB), the world’s largest licensor of polyolefin technologies, today announced that Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (IOCL) will use the LyondellBasell Spheripol technology for a new facility.
The process technology will be used for a 450 KTA polypropylene plant to be built in Panipat, Haryana State, India.
“We are excited about this additional award for our Spheripol technology at the Panipat site,” said Jim Seward, Senior Vice President, R&D, Technology and Sustainability at LyondellBasell. “The remarkable licensing track record of our polyolefin technology portfolio and our own build in asset operation experience makes the Spheripol’s process the technology of choice if plant operability, leading operating cost and excellent product properties are key in differentiating within the specific market place.”
Indian Oil is already operating polypropylene plants with a total capacity of 1300 KTA at its Panipat and Paradip sites in India which are also based on LyondellBasell’s proprietary Spheripol technology. LyondellBasell's Hostalen technology is additionally employed by IOCL to produce 300 KTA of HDPE product. Indian Oil is aiming to almost double the polypropylene production capacity in the next five years and is the largest commercial enterprise of India, having the largest refining capacity and having the second largest share of Indian Petrochemical market.
The Spheripol technology is the leading PP process technology with more than 27 million tons of licensed capacity. The latest fifth generation Spheripol technology includes process improvements that further maximize operational efficiency. The plant will commence operations using Avant ZN catalyst.
New licensees can take advantage of LyondellBasell’s in-house expertise of continuous production improvement, sustainable product development and catalyst knowhow, by optionally joining our Technical Service program.
In addition to the Spheripol process technology, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin processes and catalysts includes:
- Spherizone – The breakthrough multi-zone circulating reactor provides a unique and innovative platform to manufacture polypropylene products with novel architecture and enhanced properties
- Hostalen – Leading low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
- Lupotech – The market leader on high pressure technology offers, with its high conversion rates and effective heat recovery system, the lowest operating and investment costs for the production of low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) copolymers
- Spherilene – Flexible gas phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
- Metocene PP – Innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Avant – Advanced Ziegler-Natta, including non-phthalate, chromium and metallocene catalysts for entire range of polyolefin production.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polymer compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.” More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.LyondellBasell.com. SOURCE: LyondellBasell
For information, contact: Neil Nadalin (+49 69 30585454)