ROTTERDAM, the Netherlands, April 16, 2019 – LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB), the world’s largest licensor of polyolefin technologies, today announced that PetroChina will use the LyondellBasell Hostalen “Advanced Cascade Process” (Hostalen ACP) technology for 1100KTA of HDPE capacity. Licensor selection has been done by China HuanQiu Contracting & Engineering Co., Ltd. (HQC) a wholly owned subsidiary of PetroChina.
The low-pressure slurry process technology will be used for a 300KTA high density polyethylene (HDPE) unit to be built in Korla City, Xinjiang Province, a 400KTA plant in Jieyang City, Guangdong Province and a 400KTA plant in Yulin City, Shaanxi Province in the P.R. China.
With these new capacity additions, LyondellBasell has licensed over 7700KTA of benchmark multi-modal HDPE resins.
“LyondellBasell is pleased to further strengthen our long-standing relationship with PetroChina by licensing three new HDPE plants in China,” said Jim Seward, vice president technology business, sustainability at LyondellBasell. “PetroChina’s selection again confirms the trust customers have in our advanced polyolefins technology.”
Mr. Liu Jun, vice president of PetroChina Refining & Chemicals Company stated: “The market demands high-performance HDPE products and LyondellBasell’s multi-modal technology effectively meets these needs. Selecting LyondellBasell’s low-pressure slurry process for our petrochemical growth projects will enable us to produce high-quality products on a very sustainable, reliable and economical basis.“
Mr. Wang Zhuoyan, vice president of HQC stated: “The licensor has been selected through an international bidding process. We trust in LyondellBasell’s ability to deliver world-class technology and we believe that successful cooperation can bring sustainable, long-term economic benefits to the PetroChina companies.”
Hostalen ACP process technology manufactures high performance, multi-modal HDPE resins with an industry-leading stiffness/toughness balance, impact resistance, high stress cracking resistance and process advantages used in pressure pipe, film and blow molding applications.
The PetroChina HDPE plants will commence operations using Avant Z 501 and Avant Z509-1 catalysts to produce a full range of multi-modal HDPE products.
New licensees can take advantage of LyondellBasell’s in-house expertise of continuous production improvement, sustainable product development and catalyst knowhow, by optionally joining our Technical Service program.
In addition to the Hostalen ACP process technology, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin processes and catalysts includes:
- Spheripol – The leading PP process technology with more than 25 million tons of licensed capacity with globally recognized quality grades with leading monomer consumption and investment costs to make it the technology of choice
- Spherizone – The breakthrough multi-zone circulating reactor provides a unique and innovative platform to manufacture polypropylene products with novel architecture and enhanced properties
- Lupotech – The market leader on high pressure technology offers, with its high conversion rates and effective heat recovery system, the lowest operating and investment costs for the production of low density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) copolymers
- Spherilene – Flexible gas phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE
- Metocene PP – Innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Avant – Advanced Ziegler-Natta, including non-phthalate, chromium and metallocene catalysts for entire range of polyolefin production.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polymer compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2019, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.” More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.LyondellBasell.com. SOURCE: LyondellBasell