Rotterdam, the Netherlands, December 5, 2018 – LyondellBasell (NYSE:LYB), one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world, today announced that China Petroleum Materials Limited Corporation (CPMC) and Petrochina Liaoyang Petrochemical Company (LYPC) have selected LyondellBasell's Spherizone technology for a 300KT per year polypropylene (PP) plant planned to be built at Liaoyang, Liaoning Province, China.
“LyondellBasell is very pleased to expand its relationship with Petrochina with this license at Liaoyang,” said Jim Seward, vice president technology business and sustainability at LyondellBasell. “With the ability to produce products having superior properties and performance, the Spherizone process technology is a new benchmark for polypropylene production.”
"This process technology was selected through an international bidding process on the basis of the technical exchanges with various licensees. It has the extraordinary ability to produce high value-added polypropylene products," said Mr. Li Guihe vice president of LYPC.
Mr. Chu Yuan Lin, vice president of CPMC stated: “LyondellBasell is the global leader in polyolefin technologies; we believe that successful cooperation can bring good and long-term economic benefits to the PetroChina companies.”
The Spherizone process is the newest and most advanced polypropylene technology expanding the product portfolio beyond the traditional range of polypropylene grades. Unlike other PP process technologies, it also allows the production of entirely new families of propylene-based polymers using its unique multi-zone circulating reactor system. This project represents the ninth Spherizone line licensed in China. With this license, the total design and operating capacity of Spherizone lines in China will exceed 3,000 kilotons per year.
In addition to the Spherizone process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin processes and associated technical services includes:
- Spheripol – The leading PP process technology with more than 25 million tons of licensed capacity. with globally recognized quality grades with leading monomer consumption and investment costs to make it the technology of choice
- Hostalen – Leading low-pressure slurry process for the production of high performance multimodal HDPE
- Lupotech – The market leader on high pressure technology offers, with its high conversion rates and effective heat recovery system, the lowest operating and investment costs for the production of low density polyethylene (LDPE)
- Metocene PP – Innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Spherilene – Flexible gas phase process technology for the production of LDPE, MDPE and HDPE
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2018, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.” More information about LyondellBasell can be found at www.LyondellBasell.com.
Media Contact: David Greely O: 713-309-4395 firstname.lastname@example.org