HOUSTON, July 15, 2013 – LyondellBasell today announced the development of propylene glycol USP/EP with a specified purity of 99.9 percent. LyondellBasell is the only U.S. producer to specify this minimum level of purity, surpassing the previous purity benchmark of 99.8 percent.
“This sets a new benchmark for the industry,” said Jim Bartley, Americas propylene glycol marketing manager for LyondellBasell. “This higher purity means manufacturers can enhance the quality of their end use products.”
Propylene glycol USP/EP is used in health-sensitive applications such as pharmaceuticals, food, animal feed and cosmetics. It is used to:
- Carry flavors in food and drinks
- Produce cosmetics including face creams, body lotions and lipsticks
- Stabilize foams in cosmetic and healthcare products
- Retain moisture and taste in pet and livestock feed
- Act as a carrier of active ingredients in vaccines, cough relief syrups or gel capsules
Propylene glycol USP/EP is chemically neutral and does not react with other substances. As a result, it can:
- Serve as a solvent
- Connect and stabilize insoluble fluids (emulsifier)
- Help bind and transport other substances (excipient)
- Hold and dissolve active ingredients equally
- Attract and hold water or moisture (hygroscopic)
- Reduce the freezing point
- Increase the boiling point
- Offer outstanding stability with high flash and boiling points
LyondellBasell produces propylene glycol USP/EP in Pasadena, Texas for customers in North America, South America and Asia.
# # #
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
SOURCE: LyondellBasell Industries
Bill Herdman, +1 713 309 4814 or