ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, December 1, 2008 - Today, December 1, LyondellBasell launches a comprehensive portfolio of value added chemical technologies to produce a range of high-growth chemical products by efficient conversion of streams primarily originating from liquid crackers. The extended portfolio of the company’s licensed chemical technologies and associated technical services includes:
• Olefins Conversion – The Superflex, Prodflex, Isomplus, isomerisation and hydration catalytic processes for the selective conversion of low-value, mixed-olefin streams from crackers to ethylene, propylene and butenes.
• Olefins Recovery - Comprehensive set of process technologies for the separation and purification of C4 & C5 olefins, including extraction of butadiene and high-purity isoprene.
• Aromatics Extraction - Processes for the extraction and conversion of high-purity benzene, toluene and xylenes from liquid cracker pygas streams and coke oven light oils.
• Oxiranes and Derivatives - Leading processes for the production of propylene oxide and its derivatives including butanediol, THF, NMP and GBL.
• Acetyls - Acetic acid and vinyl acetate monomer (VAM) process technologies using highly-selective, low-pressure catalytic processes.
Prodflex, propylene oxide and acetic acid processes are available for LyondellBasell joint ventures only.
“We are excited about extending our successful Polyolefin licensing business model also for chemical technologies, leveraging our own operational expertise,” explained Kaspar Evertz, LyondellBasell’s Senior Vice President of Licensing. “LyondellBasell has over forty years experience in the operation, research and development, process design and commercialization of chemical technologies at our customers’ sites as well as our own sites.”
More than 80 licenses worldwide
The new licensed chemical technology range builds upon a well-established heritage that includes more than 80 licenses granted worldwide. “The broader technology offering that has resulted from the merger of Basell and Lyondell provides a solid base for expanding and diversifying our licensing portfolio,” said Just Jansz, President of LyondellBasell’s Technology Business. “Based upon our heritage of licensing and technology leadership, we are uniquely positioned to deliver world-class manufacturing processes, catalysts and services to producers around the globe. Our full range of polyolefin and chemical technologies will allow our customers to explore new opportunities throughout the entire petrochemical value chain.”
In addition to its chemical technologies, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services is comprised of:
• Lupotech – leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave processes for the production of LDPE and EVA copolymers
• Spherilene – advanced swing-gas-phase process for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and monomodal and bimodal HDPE
• Hostalen – leading low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-end multimodal HDPE
• Spheripol – leading polypropylene technology for the production of homopolymer, random and heterophasic copolymers
• Spherizone – latest-generation polypropylene technology, based on a multi-zone reactor for the production of polypropylene and novel polyolefins
• Metocene PP - innovative add-on technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems.
Note for editorial offices: Press photographs can be downloaded from
Photo Caption: The graphic enclosed shows the complete LyondellBasell portfolio of polyolefin and chemical technologies.
# # #
LyondellBasell Industries is one of the world’s largest polymers, petrochemicals and fuels companies. We are the global leader in polyolefins technology, production and marketing; a pioneer in propylene oxide and derivatives; and a significant producer of fuels and refined products, including biofuels. Through research and development, LyondellBasell develops innovative materials and technologies that deliver exceptional customer value and products that improve quality of life for people around the world. Headquartered in The Netherlands, LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) is privately owned by Access Industries.
For information, contact:
Media – Waldemar Oldenburger, +49 69 305 854 59 or email@example.com